Frequently Asked Questions for Injured Workers

What benefits am I entitled to?

If your injury or illness is found to be job-related, you may be entitled to receive medical care for the injury or illness, disability payments for a portion of your lost wages, rehabilitation services and in the event of death, benefits payable to dependent survivors.

What happens if my claim is denied?

One option is filing a petition to controvert with Form B-5, 11 through the Mississippi Workers’ Compensation Commission. 

What is a lump-sum settlement?

A lump-sum settlement is when the insurer/employer agrees to pay the present value of the disputed claim at once, and his/her future obligations to an injured worker is fully and finally released. 

I am not getting my check. What should I do?

First, you should contact your employer or your employer's insurance carrier. If you cannot resolve the problem with them, you should contact the Mississippi Workers’ Compensation Commission.

When will I be paid?

The first payment of wage benefits is due to the injured employee on the 14th day following knowledge/proof of disability. Wage benefits are then paid bi-weekly. There is a five-day waiting period in Mississippi. If the disability continues for 14 days, the injured employee will be entitled to wage benefits for the first five days. 

How much are wage payments?

Benefits are calculated at 66 2/3 percent of the injured worker’s average weekly wage, not to exceed a maximum rate as set by state law. Workers’ compensation payments are tax-free. 

How often will I receive a check?

Every other week.

Can I be reimbursed for mileage?

All related expenses reasonably and necessarily incurred for obtaining services, medicines and prosthetic devices should be paid. You should submit appropriate itemization to your workers' compensation insurance carrier or adjuster. Download a mileage reimbursement form.

Can I choose my own doctor?

The employer will direct the initial treatment following an injury. Injured employees can choose treatment with the employer’s choice of physician or one of their choosing. Choice of physician must be made in writing. For help locating a medical provider, use our Find A Provider tool and select Mississippi.

Any change in treating physicians must be pre-approved by the employer/carrier. If choice is denied, the injured employee may apply to the Workers’ Compensation Commission for approval of a change in physician.  

I keep receiving medical bills for my claim. What should I do with them?

All medical bills should be sent to the compensation insurance carrier.