Frequently Asked Questions for Injured Workers

What benefits am I entitled to?

If your injury or illness is found to be job-related, you may be entitled to receive medical care for the injury or illness, disability payments for a portion of your lost wages, rehabilitation services and in the event of death, benefits payable to dependent survivors.

What happens if my claim is denied?

One option is filing a Disputed Claim for Compensation form through your local OWC District. This process typically takes six to nine months or longer if the case is appealed.

What is a lump-sum settlement?

A lump-sum settlement is when the insurer/employer agrees to pay the present value of the disputed claim at once, and his/her future obligations to the injured worker are fully and finally released. To determine the value of the sum of payments owed, the claim may not be discounted at a rate greater than 8 percent per annum.

I am not getting my check. What should I do?

First, contact your employer or your employer's insurance carrier. If you still experience problems, contact the nearest workers' compensation district office.

When will I be paid?

Your initial payment should be paid on the 14th day after your employer has knowledge of your injury resulting in loss of income. There is a seven-day waiting period during which you will not be paid benefits. However, if you miss more than 14 consecutive days, you will be paid for the seven-day waiting period.

How much are wage payments?

Benefits are calculated at 66 2/3 percent of the injured worker’s average weekly wage, not to exceed a maximum rate as set by state law. Workers’ compensation payments are tax-free. 

How often will I receive a check?

One check per week while receiving temporary or total disability payments. Supplemental earnings benefits are usually paid once a month.

Can I be reimbursed for mileage?

All related expenses reasonably and necessarily incurred for obtaining services, medicines and prosthetic devices should be paid. You should submit appropriate itemization to your workers' compensation insurance carrier or adjuster. Download a mileage reimbursement form.

Can I choose my own doctor?

An injured employee has the right to select one treating physician in any field or specialty deemed medically necessary. After the initial choice, the employee shall obtain prior consent from the insurer for any change of treating physician within that same field or specialty. For help locating a medical provider, use our Find a Provider tool and select Louisiana. 

I keep receiving medical bills for my claim. What should I do with them?

All medical bills should be sent to the compensation insurance carrier.