Frequently Asked Questions for Injured Workers

What benefits am I entitled to?

Under Alabama Workers’ Compensation Law, if you have sustained a compensable injury by accident or occupational disease, you may be entitled to medical benefits for the work-related injury.

In addition to medical benefits, you may be entitled to disability payments for a portion of lost wages, vocational rehabilitation services and in the event of death, benefits payable to your dependent survivors.  

What happens if my claim is denied?

If your claim is denied, you should contact the Alabama Workers' Compensation Division and ask for one of our examiners for assistance or hire an attorney.  If you chose to hire an attorney, you should contact the Alabama State Bar Association and ask for a referral to an attorney who specializes in workers' compensation.  

What is a lump-sum settlement?

A lump-sum settlement occurs when the insurer/employer agrees to pay the present value of the claim at once. Workers’ Comp law allows for interested parties to settle all matters of benefits (compensation, medical payments, and/or rehabilitation) resulting in the insured being fully released from future obligations to the injured worker. Settlements can be approved by a worker’s compensation judge or an ombudsman. 

I am not getting my check. What should I do?

First, contact your adjuster with your employer’s insurance carrier.  If you still experience problems, you should contact the Alabama Worker’s Compensation Division and ask for one of our examiners for assistance. 

How much are wage payments?

Benefits are calculated at 66 2/3 percent of the injured worker’s average weekly wage, not to exceed a maximum rate as set by state law. Workers’ compensation payments are tax-free. 

How often will I receive a check?

According to the workers' compensation statute, payments are to be made at the intervals when the earnings were payable, as nearly as may be, unless the parties otherwise agree. However, you will receive benefits on a weekly basis. 

Can I be reimbursed for mileage?

Yes, mileage costs to and from medical and rehabilitation providers shall be paid at the rate as provided by law for official state travel. A mileage form can be downloaded here.

Can I choose my own doctor?

The initial treating physician is selected by your employer or the insurance carrier.  If you are dissatisfied with the initial treating physician selected by the employer and if further treatment is required, the employee shall be entitled to select a second physician from a list of four physicians selected by the employer. 

I keep receiving medical bills for my claim. What should I do with them?

All medical bills should be sent to the compensation insurance carrier.

When will I be paid?

After the 3-day waiting period, the indemnity period or disability period starts on the 4th day you are out of work. Payment of compensation benefits should be paid within 30 days after it becomes due unless there is a sufficient reason it has not been paid.